Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Movie Recs

A bunch of movies I've seen recently, no spoilers:

Pacific Rim - I love Guillermo del Toro but can't help wondering when this speed o' light editing fad is going to go away.  Soon I think all a movie theater experience will entail is being strapped into a kind of Clockwork Orange eyeball chair and staring at a screen for 30 minutes.  The sound in the theater was so loud, my chair vibrated non-stop.  They charged extra for that.

The Painted Veil - A British couple and their marital struggles in a cholera stricken Chinese village in the 1920s



The Maid (La nana) - One woman's wins and losses over her personal demons.  If you like slow paced stories, this will be a good fit.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - This was sweeter and sadder than I thought it would be.  I wish they would have included the dog more at the end.

Lawless - I was looking forward to this too much I guess because it disappointed.  All I could think was Sam Peckinpah wannabe.  But "Screenplay by Nick Cave" is not something you see everyday.



Cloud Atlas - I liked the people/time relativity aspect but the makeup effects were distractingly awful. I would need to watch it again to get more out of it I think but not sure when I'll have another 5 hours to spare.

Hotel Transylvania - A good surprise.

For Your Consideration - Christopher Guest and his usual suspects never fail to deliver.

Searching for Sugar Man - Documentary chronicling a South African journalist's quest to find out what happened to Detroit musician Rodriguez, who is bigger than Elvis in S. Africa.  Money is the root of all evil.



Plus more that I've forgotten - intentionally or accidentally.  If I don't write them down immediately, I'm likely to forget.  And I never write them down immediately.

No comments: